Look who our Chief Winemaker @lenz_m_moser bumped into at the Vancouver International Wine Festival! It’s English wine writer, author and presenter #andrewjefford (2nd from left) together with the festival organizers
What a fantastic way to end a fantastic week Launching these top level Cabernet Sauvignon wines from China into the Canadian market - great tasting today in #toronto with the fantastic support of our distributor @vonterra our core four wines are now available via @lcbo#chinesewine#happytasting#happyfriday
Purple Air Comes From The East – PACE „fortune & luck from the east!“
TASTING NOTES BY LENZ M. MOSER
14.3% ABV - This is the lowest of our top wines and the acidity level of 5.4 G/L is also a welcome indicator of freshness. We learn from Bordeaux and its approach to “la frecheur”.
Beautiful floral aromas on the nose, leading to more complex red and dark berry fruit notes, with savoury hints of cedar, tobacco and a warm touch of vanilla from subtle wood treatment – all in perfect harmony, with a built in “feel good” factor.
On the palate, luscious, generous and moreish with a delightful freshness. A top wine from Ningxia yet we have focused on elegance and finesse, the wine has intensity and complexity without being overbearing or overwhelming.
Lenz M. Moser: ‘We believe this wine will pave the way for a new breed of Ningxia wines, where the focus is on the pure pleasure of drinking.’
Since it is my second vintage it is hard to say when peak drinking will be reached, however, judging from the quality of the grapes at harvest, it will drink well for a minimum of 15 years. The wine is still super young, yet already a real pleasure to enjoy.
It is certainly the best ever red I have been involved in making. We worked very hard to bring this new style of wine to life. And I will dedicate this very special creation to the leaders of Changyu and all involved in making this wine. It takes a great team to achieve, now the ultimate jury is out with the opinion formers and our customers to give the final verdict.
- 2016 was a truly great year in Ningxia - 2016 is richer, more flavour and tannins than in the other great year, vines between 12 – 18 years old
- For this truly special and ultra rare wine – only 6,300 bottles made
- we have chosen the blending components barrel by barrel, selecting grapes only from the very best parcels of our estate vineyards
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon (small and healthy berries with brown seeds and 24 -25 brix)
- Aged in barriques (5 different coopers, French, medium toast, 100 % first use) in the barrel cellar at the Chateau for 24 months
- Growing, fermenting and blending under supervision of Lenz M. Moser (Chief Winemaker Chateau Changyu Moser XV) who spends the entire harvest period in Ningxia – and a total of five times at the Chateau – ca. three months in total per year
- “Mise en bouteille au château / Estate Bottled“
- 2016 marks the second harvest of Lenz M. Moser at the Chateau
– after collaborating with Changyu in Yantai (Shandong province) 10 years prior, the Chairman and CEO of Changyu and LMM agreed that LMM will be in charge of CCMXV from 2015 on wards, making and also marketing the wine.
First ever official Purple Air Comes from the East tasting in Europe! This is our new super premium icon wine - a top top Cabernet Sauvignon made by our Chief Winemaker @lenz_m_moser and team in #Ningxia #China
Sommeliers and customers from all over Germany attending our launches in #Hamburg and #Berlin earlier this week. Today and tomorrow #cologne and #dusseldorf
So far a huge success with superb benchmarks (tasting blind) and stunning and exciting our guests with all these great wines - belonging in the company finest is our mission! #London, #Zurich, #Vienna, #Toronto, #Melbourne...we are coming!
Leading Ningxia winery Château Changyu-Moser XV has just released the world’s first and only Cabernet Sauvignon Blanc de Noir aged in French barriques. Made at the estate in North West China, from the free-run juice of small thick-skinned Ningxia Cabernet Sauvignon berries, and refined in French oak for twelve months, this new wine is a natural progression from the estate’s hugely successful unoaked white Cabernet Sauvignon (which Moser launched in 2017, as an innovative solution to the lack of suitable white varieties in the region).
‘White Cabernet is something which we did out of necessity,’ he said. ‘At the Chateau I had 250 hectares of Cabernet Sauvignon, only red grapes, but I had to have a white wine, so I got creative.’
Explaining how the Moser Family Blanc de Noir 2017 came about, Moser comments ‘We loved the unoaked, stainless steel version of our Blanc de Noir Cabernet Sauvignon so much, that we started experimenting by ageing the wine in barriques. After repeatedly tasting the barrels in the cellar we grew more and more confident this will be something spectacular – and indeed it is! All the credentials of our other, unoaked, White Cabernet have been refined with subtle wood treatment for 12 months. This gives it the harmony and complexity expected of a world-class white wine.’
The wine, aimed at independent specialists and high end on-trade, has an off-trade retail of around RRP £35. The 2017 maiden vintage has a limited production of 1,000 bottles, with a further 18,000 bottles’ worth of 2018 vintage in new French barrique - so, stay tuned for the second vintage release in Summer 2020.
• 2017 was a great year in Ningxia – elegance, finesse and full flavour at the same time
• Vines around 12 years old
• 100% Cabernet Sauvignon (harvest of healthy berries with 23 brix immediate bleeding of the destemmed grapes for the white in the Cabernet Sauvignon)
• Ageing in new French barrique (Nadalie and Vicard) for 12 months and a small proportion blended back with stainless steel
• Growing and blending under close supervision of Lenz M. Moser (Chief Winemaker Chateau Changyu Moser XV) who spent the entire harvest period in Ningxia
• “Mise en bouteille au château’ / Estate bottled for the very first time at the Château in May 2019 by Mr. Fan Xi (Head Winemaker, Changyu Ningxia), Emma (Assistant Winemaker) and Lenz M. Moser (Chief Winemaker Chateau Changyu Moser XV, Ningxia)
For further info: firstname.lastname@example.org m: 07884 381615
Great mention for the white cabernet on BBC Saturday Kitchen. Partnered with Ken Hom’s Steamed Cod, ginger juice, spring onions and soy sauce with spicy noodles.
Olly Smith: ' This is the best vintage they’ve had, they have used a Champagne yeast, which gives a bit more elegance, they had perfect conditions for the grapes, so really delicious fruit. It’s stunning. China is in the top 10 wine producers, but within the next 50 years, will no doubt be the top, and the quality is rising every single year.
Fay Ripley: ‘That’s divine.’
Matt Tebbutt (presenter): If you didn’t know, I mean, I’m not an expert, but I’d think I was drinking a nice Provence rosé.’
NB: They referred to it on screen in the stockist info as white cabernet - but did reference it as a rosé in the dialogue. But that is up to them!
„SPIRIT OF POSSIBLE - THE SPIRIT OF DUBAI“ Coincidently (?) we showed our new ICON „PURPLE AIRE COMES from the EAST“ in Dubai for the first time - in a blind tasting with the lines of OPUS ONE , ORNELLAIA and others - cool , very cool as the wine raised eyebrows and respect for China , Ningxia and chateau Changyu Moser XV wines . Stay tuned for more #globalwineexpert #chateauchangyumoserxv #changyu #dubai #thespiritofdubai #dubaiexpo2020 ... we shall be there Friends , yourself and a cooler planet ... Coincidently (?) we showed our new ICON „PURPLE AIRE COMES from the EAST“ in Dubai for the first time - in a blind tasting with the lines of OPUS ONE , ORNELLAIA and others - cool , very cool as the wine raised eyebrows and respect for China
Blending , PR-Ing, entertaining - working in China is a 360 job . Great holistic experience again these days ... snow in Nx‘s buried vineyards ... meticulous notes for excellence ... a fining team is always there to spread the news ... a happy winemaking team with „Black“ teeth after a good day ( sunday working of course too ;-) ... blending by Lmm ... and having guests in the evening ( xinhua news agency mk), Steven ( distributor in Quangzhou ) , IAN HJ, famous blogger and Louis , NX sales Boss changyu
'(forthcoming February 15!) Adventures on the China Wine Trail, has received the Gourmand International 2020 award for best U.S. book in the Wine and Beer Tourism category! This is our first book and we're surprised and honored to follow the footsteps of friends who won in recent years.'
So here we are in January with a shiny new year ahead and lots of exciting plans in store for @changyumoserxv - launching our super top icon wine, leading the way for #Ningxia wines and continuing our mission to help put #chinesewine on the world wine map! Here’s to 2020 and a new decade! #happynewyear2020