20 wines entered the blind tasting - always in pairs of 2 whereby WEIN & CO choose the Austrian wines (crème de la crème in particular for the reds) and Lenz M. Moser brought his wines of Chateau Changyu Moser XV alongside other greats of China, such as Longdai, AoYun, Silver Heights, Legacy Peak & co.
The result was a 2 ½ hours serious tasting, vivid discussion with the following result:
1. WOW - PÖCKL, Reve 2017 and MARKOWITSCH, Rosenberg 2017 were the frontrunners from Austria
2. WOW for the progress, Austrian reds have made – esp. when exposed to international competition, blindly
3. WOW on China, especially on achievements of Chateau Changyu Moser XV (a mere 50 months from the start)
4. WOW for China in Longdai, AoYun, Moser Family white 2017, especially: “PURPLE AIR COMES FORM THE EAST”
5. And, since this way of “unusual, unique” tastings was received so favorably, it will be continued in the nearfuture, in other countries too. It is the clear goal for the wines of Chateau Changyu Moser XV to be amongst the best of China, yet also belong in the company of the world’s finest.
And as one of the participants, Adi Schmid, sommelier emeritus of “Steirereck” (after 41 years of service to the best Austrian restaurant) put it spot on: ”China and Chateau Changyu Moser XV in particular will continue to surprise and excite world wine lovers for the next ten year with its stunning quality and unmistakable style - before turning into a classic on the world stage.
Lenz was happy with the result as the majority of wine writers picked “PURPLE AIR COMES FORM THE EAST”, the chateau’ new icon as their pick of the day. Especially exciting since it is the maiden vintage of this wine.
Meanwhile you all know my ending of this: it is just the beginning and the best is yet to come! So let us have fun building this category into a business.